Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Cozy Apartment

Living alone for the first time in my life has been good so far. Moving from a two bedrooms apartment to one bedroom apartment have limit my space on arranging my furniture.

Here you see is my corridor leading to my lounge area. I have to stuff everything at the corridor because the apartment is so small that it could barely fit the stuff left by my sisters and brother. I did not buy the fridge nor the book shelf you see in the picture. Most of the stuff use right now has a "great history".

The picture on your right is my lounge room. I have 3 mattresses that force me to throw away my couch. Because the couch is the least valuable and the most damage item in my house. So, instead of a couch, I use mattresses as my couch. This is also because I have 12 pillows!! which my siblings left for me. So I put pillows on the mattress to make it as comfy as a couch =P. I'm very into visual and audio enjoyment (technology side), therefore I hook up my computer to my tv and my sound system that left the wyre all over the place.


In this apartment, I now only have this tiny kitchenette which only have two cook top. (Used to have 4 in my old apartment which is much more convinient.) Regardless, it hasn't limit my cooking skills because I'm not a chef. Well, if you been wondering how I cook my rice in this kitchenette, you must be wondering does he cook my own rice or does he cook using gas fire? Well, I do have a rice cooker, because my kitchenette is too small,

I've been forced to put my rice cooker on my dining table. Also you can see my toilet is just next to my dining table. How wonderful is that? In and out at the same time. Imagine 4 years of my older sister, 6 years of my older brothers and 1 year of my younger sister stuff have to put inside one cozy apartment. Now you see. I evan have to put stuff under my dining table because I got no place to store them. You see, now I'm alone in this apartment but I have 6 dining chairs that couldn't fit into my apartment. Well, 3 already occupied all the space I have and I have to put it else where.


As for my bedroom, it's stuffed as well. Even the space under my bed is full!! Not to mention my wardrobe. Well, my wardrobe is not full with clothes but with blankets and pillows. I have 6 blankets and not just any blankets, 5 of those are quilt blankets!!..3 blankets and 6 pillows in my wardrobe! If you think this is not much, there's another 2 drawer units and a small book shelf in it to store quilt covers and pillow cases and matress covers.

Of course, with all the matress covers, quilt covers and pillow cases, I need a washing machine. This washing machine cost me 1.3k!! but worth every cents. Let me do my calculation for you.

Wash and Dry at laundry out there is 6 dollars and well, i need to seperate my dark colour clothes and light colour clothes so that is 12 dollars per week. I live there for 40 weeks per year and so that is 480 per year.

One year the electricity cost for this washing machine will be around 300kw where a kw of electricity is 0.16 cents at peak and that is 51 dollars and the water needed per year is around 12kilo litre for and the cost of water is 1 dollar for a kilo litre that is 12 dollars per year for 80 washes and dry. So the running cost of this machine is only 63 dollars per year!! Compare to 480 dollars using commercial laundry. If i use this machine during offpeak electricity time which is only 0.07 cents then the running cost will be even cheaper! I have 5 year warranty on this machine and 10 year warranty on the motor of the machine. This means it cost almost nothing to the repair cost if it breaks down (of course the phone call cost which cost maybe a few dollars). I'll be using this for at least 2 years so that means I will spend 126 dollars on running cost compare to 960 dollars on using commercial laundry. That make a total saving of 834 dollars for the period of my staying.

Well you might say the machine already cost 1.3k. But it has a resell value, so after 2 years of depreciation it will be around 800 to 900 that a depreciation of 600. I still make a save of 234 dollars!!..That just the initial cost. If I use this more, I save more!

Well, that's my apartment!

2 comments:

  1. hey u bought those 6 fancy dining chairs~~ v used to hv flip chairs bought fr Ikea which can save some space. blerrr~~
    n u also added in ur visual stuffs plus bossy study chair and table ma....
    anyways, life will be better if those tech things r wireless, but again, might cause health problems (yet to be proven).
    -ziqing-

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, from ur 'essay', i suggest ur title could be changed to My Cozy Museum :p
    -ziqing-

    ReplyDelete